LIFE. BLISS. ENERGY. INSPIRATION. JOY. PURPOSE. DRIVE. CREATION. ABUNDANCE. MANIFESTING. BEAUTY. LOVE.

19 August 2011

hello.you

Your Higher Self Sends Her Regards...
I read an article this morning that reminded me of a phenomenon that cannot be understated. It is the "fake it until you make it" approach. We have all heard the wisdom to smile even though we are sad, and that the very action of raising the corners of our mouths will elevate our mood. I know that it works, but where my life is concerned, I am trying to exact greater change than a momentary boost in mood. Can I fake being more organized? Can I act like I go on adventures all the time, and eventually they will find me? Can I pretend like I know what I want to do with my life, and my purpose will appear? How does one go about pretending to live in Europe, while having a job that is a (as yet undefined) mix of creative expression and psychology where you are your own boss? Obviously there needs to be some tweaking to the "fake it until you make it" approach so that it can work for bigger picture goals.

Meet your Higher Self
I attended a workshop on Cultivating Intuition a while ago where we were asked to visualize meeting our higher selves. It was a bit of a funny thing trying to envision my higher self, and I ended up with something of an angel-come-fairygodmother wearing a white robe and flowers in her hair. I think she even had blue eyes and red hair, or maybe I'm getting her confused with the Mother Nature woman from the Motts Tomato Juice adds? Anyhow, I obviously didn't understand the exercise at the time because there was nothing "me" about my higher self. Since then I have figured out what a "higher self" actually is, and as usual it is some mix of psychology and new age (or old, depending how you look at it) wisdom. Your higher self is simply that person that you wish you could be. I imagine myself, but only more stylish, fit, and a career woman that is happy, healthy, in a loving relationship. In this fantasy I also have no body hair, live in a mansion, and have perfect skin and nails, but I digress... The point is that your higher self literally is the person you would be if you had no limitations. Take a second and think about what that would look like. Get really into it, picturing every detail of what you would look like, what you would do with your time, where you would hang out, and with who. That is your higher self, and I'm sure s/he is delighted to meet you.

The point of this is that, everyone has an ideal self, but knowing what that is and moving towards it, is very different. Self esteem, in psychological terms, is (loosely) measured as the difference between your assessment of your real self, and how far that is from your ideal self. The bigger the gap, the lower your self esteem.

Real self <-------(bigger gap= lower self esteem)-----------------> Ideal self

Funny enough, higher self esteem is not achieved when the gap is narrowed. It is achieved whenever you move toward your goals.** Human nature is such that we will never stop wanting better circumstances. If we stopped having a reason to get out of bed in the morning, the species would die off. As we reach a goal, the goal post shifts so that we want something different, or better. Some people find this depressing, but I urge you to really think about it. Imagine you have a magic box that you open every day to find the best chocolate in the world. And every day that chocolate gets better and better. Would that not be more satisfying than having the same chocolate every day, even if it is the best? If I one day find myself living the exact life I now imagine, the heavens are not going to open up with choirs of cherubs singing Hallelujah. I will, at that point, want different things. It also won't mean that I will have a low self esteem until I one day have my dream life.

High self esteem is a result of MOVING TOWARD your best self, and NOT MOVING is what causes low self esteem.

                             Your Higher Self
What Would Jesus^ Do?

Your Higher Self can now become your best friend. I mean, you guys are bound to get along. S/he will always be there for you, and have your best interest at heart. So next time you feel stuck in your life, imagine your higher self, and see if there is one thing you can do to move in that direction. I obviously cannot (to my knowledge) invent a job right now that mixes psychology with some sort of creative outlet, but I can and did, start a blog which does exactly that. Although I don't see clearly how or when blogging will translate into living hair-free in a mansion in Europe, I do know that it is a step closer to my higher self, and I know it because it feels good and I love doing it. You will know you are on the right track with an action when it feels good (not easy, but good) because it means what you are doing is boosting your self esteem. I go to my higher self often for help, whenever I feel stuck in my life or need inspiration. When I feel tired and listless and I consider lying around in my pyjamas all day watching Mad Men, I mentally go and visit my Higher Self to see what she is doing on her day off. Of course that bitch has already gone for a run, and now she is happily skipping her tight little hair-free body all around town while looking fabulous and happy. Urgh, fine! I am going to go for a run now, then I will put on an outfit that is not sweatpants or pyjamas, and go do something constructive. I might even shave my legs.


** I have recently wrote about how life is not a road race, and I want to reiterate that here. When I say we should move toward our goals, I mean that we should do the things that truly make us happy and that we value. The "goalposts" will always shift because, like I mentioned in my other post, life really is not a straight road, it is more circular. Once you have that promotion, you will want better health, and once you focus on health you will want to improve your relationship. And once your relationship is going well you will realize that you have stagnated at work and start working toward your next promotion. This cycle will play itself out over and over again. We will always want things, because as I stated earlier, it is an essential part of being alive. But it is important to want things that align with who you really are, even if you see no way how your interest in, say, mouse taxidermy or doll collecting will be of use later. If writing this blog has taught me one thing, it is that when you do what you love, doing it is reward enough. I have faith that the rest will come, and so should you.

1 comment:

  1. So very true. Reminds me that everyday is a chance to practice, a chance to get back up and to try again. Where we may fall down at once, there's no reason for guilt or shame, just an opportunity to remember where we are going and that there isn't necessarily a "destination" only an ongiong journey...very inspiring to read this today...and it made me laugh:) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete